Your child's portfolio
Portfolios are a record of your child’s learning journey. Each child has a portfolio and it belongs to your child. Here at Chapel Hill Kindergarten we use an online portfolio system called Educa. Educa is web based and each parent has their own log in for their child’s portfolio page. Educa has created a fantastic communication process between staff, parents and other family members. Parents and family members have the opportunity to comment on their child’s learning story, or add stories from home of their child’s interest or learning, therefore allowing us the opportunity to extend this interest. We have found that Educa has enabled us to build a stronger reciprocal relationship with our parents and whānau and a fantastic way to share your child’s learning.
Transition to School
Choosing a school
- Consider the quality of the education the school provides.
- The special character of an integrated school.
- Transport to and from school.
- The size of the school
- Is the school composite or integrated, private, Kura Kaupapa Maori or a special school?
- Are the classrooms open plan or single cell classrooms?
- Look at the learning objectives/outcomes – good schools set challenging learning objectives for their teaching programmes and keep detailed records of each child’s progress
- Observe children in the playground
- Visit a classroom during the school day
- Arrange to see the principal and any teachers of five year olds
- Do you see my child’s education as a shared responsibility between school and home?
- What will my child learn in the first year at school?
- How will I know that my child has learned?
- How does your school make sure that the children are safe and happy?
- What should I do if I am worried about my child’s progress?
- Do you have an open door policy or encourage parent help?
- What fees or donations will the school ask for?
- May I have a copy of the school charter?
- May I read the last ERO report on the school?
- Is there an enrolment scheme in place? If so may I see a copy of it?
- Tell me about a typical school day?
- How many school visits can we have prior to starting to school?